- News & Insights/
- When Corporate Manslaughter is the charge - Could you handle it?
When Corporate Manslaughter is the charge - Could you handle it? FOO
Over 60 businesses attended our first interactive business seminar on corporate manslaughter at the end of 2015 in which many of our clients were able to see first-hand a detailed account of what happens when a company has to answer to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) in the wake of a death or serious injury in the workplace.
During the seminar, attendees were able to experience a director of a fictional company face questioning under Police and Criminal Evidence (PACE) conditions following a corporate manslaughter charge. The event was crafted to raise awareness of having comprehensive health and safety policies and procedures in place, as well as ensuring the correct level of liability insurance protection.
Save The Date
This is a free event courtesy of Arthur J. Gallagher and Mills & Reeve and it will be held on Wednesday 25th January 2017. We hope you can join us. To express your interest in our event please call or email Faye Locke. Tel: 0121 237 1792, Email: Faye_locke@ajg.com
Arthur J. Gallagher’s top five tips for protecting your business against a corporate manslaughter charge:
- Know your risks - carry out regular risk assessments for employees and all other service users. Preventative measures, as well as strategies for coping when risk situations arise, are essential in ensuring both employees and the company are protected.
- Health and safety first - review your health and safety procedures and address any shortcomings, with strict monitoring of implementation to ensure things are not forgotten.
- People training - well documented training, at all levels, is essential in ensuring all staff are competent in their understanding and responsibilities around health and safety.
- The right cover - as well as the need for employers’, public and professional liability insurances, make sure the senior individuals in your business are protected with Directors & Officers’ insurance.
- Regular reviews - things change! Regularly reviewing your risks, policies, cover and training programme is essential and will help to ensure nothing falls through the cracks.
Hear what some of our clients thought of our event;
"Clearly a lot of time and effort had gone into the event and I found the role playing to be excellent. You really felt the different emotions of the characters, but never lost sight of what the presentation ultimately was about. It finished off with some sound advice which we have taken on board. The whole process was enjoyable, informative and captivated the audience from start to finish." - Tim Hodgson, Moore Large & Co Ltd.
"It was without doubt the best possible visualisation of a PACE interview scenario and prompts really useful issues out of both insurers and clients alike." - Feedback via Survey Monkey Nov 2015.